Here are some tips to help keep your children safe around gas:
You should always get a licensed gasfitter to install your gas appliances or make any changes to your gas supply. A licensed gasfitter will make sure your gas appliance or installation is connected correctly and safely. A Gasfitting Certificate is required for all new gas installations and most alterations to existing installations in your home. You can ask for a Gasfitting Certificate from the person who has carried out the work on your home.
All LPG cylinder installations must meet the requirements of the Gas (Safety and Measurement) Regulations 2010. For more information refer to the LPG Association’s Code of Practice number 2 “Installation and maintenance of twin 45kg LPG cylinder systems” (www.lpga.co.nz).
There are very strict regulations governing the ways that bottled gas can be stored and handled. When cylinder are refilled at the filling stations they are tested for faults. The cylinders are also leak tested when they are reconnected to your house.
You will know if you have a gas leak because you will be able to smell it. It is a legal requirement to odourise gas with a strong pungent rotten egg smell so you can easily detect a leakage.
It is a legal requirement that anyone carrying out work on gas installations and appliances in your home must be a licensed gasfitter. To make sure your gasfitter is licensed to do the work, you can ask to see their card issued by the Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Board. Alternatively, you can check by visiting www.pgdb.co.nz.
||SEARCH THE PUBLIC REGISTER to check if a tradeperson is currently licenced||Type in your gasfitters details|
When any gas fitting work is carried out at your home, it is a legal requirement that the gasfitter completes a “Gas Certification Certificate”. This details the work undertaken and that it has been completed in accordance with the regulatory requirements, and that your system and appliances have been tested and are safe. The gasfitter should leave a copy of the certificate with you.
If you have had work completed and do not hold this certificate, you are entitled to request this from your gasfitter who is required by regulation to give this to you.
Carbon monoxide is a dangerous gas that you cannot smell or see. Carbon monoxide can be produced if you burn natural gas with insufficient oxygen.
If you breathe in carbon monoxide, it enters your bloodstream and deprives oxygen from your blood cells. The early effects of carbon monoxide poisoning could include a headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, feeling like you have the flu and confusion. Severe cases of carbon monoxide poisoning can be deadly. If you believe you or someone in your home has carbon monoxide poisoning:
Leave the house straight away → Visit your local doctor or hospital → Call 111 for Emergency Services
A carbon monoxide alarm detects the presence of carbon monoxide in the air. There are a number of stores which sell these alarms. Ask your gasfitter where you might get one locally.